HLTAID004 Provide an Emergency First Aid Response in an Education and Care setting
Previously workers would have to attend a first aid course, an asthma course and an anaphylaxis course – now this single day course encompasses all three.
This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to infants, children and adults.
The unit applies to educators and support staff working within an education and care setting who are required to respond to a first aid emergency, including asthmatic and anaphylactic emergencies.
This unit of competency may contribute towards approved first aid, asthma and anaphylaxis training under the Education and Care Services National Law, and the Education and Care Services National Regulations (2011)
What will I learn?
This is a very practical course, you will leave feeling confident to provide CPR and emergency management of Asthma and Anaphylaxis, as well as general first aid.
- Assessment and management of emergency situations and casualty
- Apply life support skills in accordance with Resuscitation Council guidelines
- Operation of automated external defibrillator
- First aid management for an emergency situation
- Infection control principals and procedures
- Signs and symptoms of an asthma attack- mild, moderate and severe
- Common allergic and non-allergic asthma triggers
- Provide asthma first aid management
- Use of asthma bronchodilator medication using a spacer
- Develop risk minimisation and management strategies for asthma and anaphylaxis
- Define the term allergic reaction/anaphylaxis
- Recognition of allergy and anaphylaxis and those at risk
- Signs and symptoms of allergic reaction
- Risk factors
- Provide first aid management of severe allergic reactions and anaphylaxis
- Action Plans
- Use of adrenaline auto-injector devices Epi Pen®
The face to face day of training covers both theory and practical aspects with a focus on the practical elements, including using an Epipen, asthma puffer, easy slings and bandages and a whole range of scenarios – no long boring lectures involved!
An online workbook is to be completed prior to attending the course date. When you register for the course you will be sent a link to the course book and your personal password and log on name. The workbook takes approx 1-3 hours to complete. You are able to stop the workbook at any time, it will bookmark your place automatically.
Students are required to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the course commencement. At our public courses we provide morning tea, tea and coffee etc, all you need to bring is your own lunch.
Certificates will be emailed to each participant, meaning that you will never lose your certificate and are able to print it out or forward as many times as necessary. Certificates are valid for 3 years.